U.S. To Send 55 Million COVID Vaccine Doses Overseas

(PatrioticPost.com)- The United States has so many extra doses of COVID-19 vaccines that it’s sending many of them overseas.

On Monday, the Biden administration announced it would send out 55 million more doses by the end of June. In all, President Joe Biden committed to sharing 80 million doses of the vaccine with other countries.

Of the 80 million doses, roughly 75% will be shared through COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access, the global vaccination program better known as COVAX. The remaining 25% are set to be shared directly with the countries that need them most.

The plan for the first 25 million doses was announced earlier in June.

In a statement released this week, the White House said:

“Our goals are to increase global COVID-19 vaccination coverage, prepare for surges and prioritize healthcare workers and other vulnerable populations based on public health data and acknowledged best practice, and help our neighbors and other countries in need.

“And, as we have previous stated, the United States will not use its vaccines to secure favors from other countries.”

Roughly 14 million of the COVAX doses will be shared throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Countries that will benefit include Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Argentina and Brazil.

Another 16 million of these doses will be sent to Asian nations such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Taiwan, Papua New Guinea, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Bhutan, Maldives, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and India.

Another 10 million will be sent to various African countries. The breakdown of those doses will be determined with the assistance of the African Union.

The 14 million doses that will be sent directly to countries will go toward Bosnia, Moldova, Georgia, Kosovo, Ukraine, Gaza and the West Bank, Oman, Tunisia, Yemen, Iraq, Jordan, Egypt, Cabo Verde, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Panama, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Argentina and Colombia.

The White House didn’t provide exact breakdowns of how many doses each country would get. The doses will be from all three companies that have been approved for emergency use in the United States — Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna.

Biden administration officials had originally planned to send doses they had from AstraZeneca. However, because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration hasn’t cleared that company’s vaccine through its efficacy and safety review, they couldn’t send them overseas.

On Monday, Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, told reporters:

“What we have found to be the biggest challenge is not actually the supply. We have plenty of doses to share with the world. But, this is a Herculean logistical challenge, and we’ve seen that as we’ve begun to implement.

“Just like we have in our domestic response, we will move as expeditiously as possible, while abiding by U.S. and host country regulatory and legal requirements, to facilitate the safe and secure transport of vaccines across international borders. This will take time, but the president has directed the administration to use all the levers of the U.S. government to protect individuals from this virus as quickly as possible.”